Monday, February 23, 2015

Post 2

Just a short while after starting the drawings for this project, I noticed that the hardest part for me was starting a drawing and being able to stick with it. Like many other people, I struggle with having a short attention span.My initial goal for this project was to start and finish a drawing each week, ending with seven drawings in total. So far, I have started three different drawings and have not completed any of them. Honestly, I'm a mess.I've added another goal to this project; being able to start something and finish it without being distracted. So far, I've started a water color painting of my friend Ximena, an acrylic painting of my friend Leanne, and a pencil sketch of Madi (in order of which I started first). Since I started Ximena's first, my goal is to finish hers first as well.Something I have noticed over time while working on this project is that the mood I'm in affects which person's drawing I want to work on. I picked which medium to use for each drawing based on which medium I thought would best represent the subject of that piece. When I go to work on a drawing, I often feel compelled to do whichever drawing has a medium of which I am in the mood to work with. For example, when I feel like having a neat, clean painting I prefer to work with acrylic paints. When I don’t mind getting as messy, I want to work with watercolor.This medium depending on mood trait collides with my short attention span and makes it awfully hard to concentrate on one drawing for a long time.It’s kind of hard to research how to draw something, especially considering the point of picking this project was to develop my own style. I have, however, taken the initiative to ask my art teacher for help with this assignment.My art teacher from the Michener Museum, Kristy DeFlores Elliot, is a valuable source to me when developing new skills in art. She has earned a BFA in Fine Arts and Graphic Design from The College of New Jersey, where she is from. She is best at graphic arts, anime, fashion illustration, textile design, portfolio preparation and advanced fine arts classes for students. This year, she has agreed to help me work on this project as well as begin preparing my portfolio in case I want to go to an art school for college.When asked what the biggest setback for me regarding art seemed to be, Kristy said that it was my lack of confidence holding me back. Every Saturday when I meet with her, she encourages that I try to loosen up and get more comfortable with the piece I am working on.I have found different examples of art that I really like and would like to be able to use as inspiration for my own pieces.
These pieces both show obvious styles. In the end, not just in the end of this project but more of my long term goal in art, is that my pieces can represent my own style similarly to how these do.                                                                                 



No comments:

Post a Comment